Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Volunteer perks

Last night was the highlight of my trip. My group of 13 press assistant volunteers, plus many more, were able to attend the rehearsal for the opening ceremonies. Fischt stadium is a sight to be seen. The open air stadium proved to be quite chilly, considering we were sitting for more than two hours (and we weren’t even shown the whole show!)

When I was given my ticket, I was told not to bring a camera. I was also told to never wear my uniform off-shift. I took these directions very seriously. At the entrance to every venue there’s a full pat-down and x-ray scan for your bags. My paranoia played out scenarios of my camera being confiscated and then not being able to get it back. As the obedient Canadian that I am, I left both my warm uniform and camera at home. Not only did I miss out on some awesome photographs of the grounds at night and the firework show, but I also nearly froze solid sitting in the stadium. 

A local woman was kind to me and let me borrow her blanket. She had a contagious smile that went on for miles, and even invited me to come visit her in Krasnodar between the Olympics and Paralympic games. I have a feeling I may take her up on her offer. There have been a few Russians who have truly gone above and beyond to make me comfortable in their country. While the majority rarely smile, it seems the younger generation of volunteers are eager to show what their country has to offer.

As for the opening ceremonies? It was incredible. Like almost every other aspect of the 2014 Olympics, Russia went above and beyond. Be sure to watch and ‘get lucky’ ;)

proud volunteer colours!

1 comment:

  1. Great outfit, Janelle! I am really enjoying your blog posts. I hope you can stay warm and away from any more scary lineups. Good luck with Friday's opening ceremonies. It's a good idea that you didn't bring your phone with you -- there are many news reports that devices are being hacked as you arrive in Russia. Although, your phone could have been used as a flashlight to compensate for the missing light bulbs in your room.

    ReplyDelete