Saturday, February 15, 2014

Sochi setback

With all the smiling I've been doing lately, I was bound to come across a frown or two. Today I spent an hour with a Russian doctor who confirmed I have sprained my ankle. I wish I could tell you I sprained it while rescuing a skeleton athlete from tripping down the stairs, or better yet - that I twisted it while saving a baby from an oncoming train. Unfortunately, I can't even pinpoint the moment I sprained it. Maybe while running...maybe while running along the sliding track at work to get the start times. In the end, I've been prescribed two weeks of rest. TWO WEEKS! I guess I'll catch up on some Dostoyevsky in the sun instead of running :( but really I'll probably read game of thrones ;)

Other than the injury, the last day or two have been phenomenal! I snuck a snapshot with our Canadian women's skeleton athletes. Sarah Reid and Mellisa Hollingsworth were great! Beaming Canadian spirit.


Elizabeth Yarnold takes gold for Britain
To follow up on what exactly I do at work, it's best to know what work looks like. The sliding center is nestled on the mountain. Getting to work means trudging up hills to each position. I work in the mixed-zone (where athletes are interviewed by the media). There are shuttle buses available, which with my ankle I will now have to take. Every athlete walks right past me after they've been interviewed. No complaints from me on my position ;)
Sanki sliding center



Finish line
Canada is well represented at my venue
This is what I do for work. Press to the right. Athletes to the left.  
My Russian coworker. He was captivated by the Russia vs. USA hockey game. Then he was devastated when Russia lost.
Press conference. I get to pass around the microphone :)
Before I found out how bad my ankle was, I went to Rosa Khutor at the base of my mountain. Yes, the following photos were taken in the mountains at the WINTER Olympics. Yes, I am wearing a tank top. It was 15'C. I may manage to come home with a tan from the winter Olympics! 

This dude must have been dying in the heat.



This samovar can hold 150 litres of water. That's a lot of tea!


Ain't that the truth!
Taking the gondola to work. By the way...no one here knows what I'm taking about when I say gondola. It's called a cable way in these parts.

Sanki sliding center. My home.

2 comments:

  1. Janelle, keep the photos of Bertie in Sochi coming. We've posted Bertie's photos on a wall in the SPP Internal Communications team's work area. The photos are in a high-traffic area and get a lot of comments. We also posted a link to your blog on the staff portal ESRDNet. I hope your ankle heals fast so you can continue to enjoy your Russian Olympic experience.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yikes! I can't believe you sprained your ankle without exactly knowing when it happened. I guess it was a case of adrenaline rush. Maybe your foot landed wrong on the ground while you were running or something. I hope everything is okay now and that you've finally picked up running again. I'm gonna keep my fingers crossed and wish it never happens again, so you can avoid any more Sochi setbacks. Take care! :)

    Clinton Bashir @ U.S. HealthWorks

    ReplyDelete