Saturday, February 8, 2014

A day in Sochi

Olympic park is a solid 45 minutes away from Sochi city centre. Yesterday, I was fortunate enough to have two guides from my press team take me into the heart of the city. I can see why it is such a popular vacation destination for Russians. From the great weather, the palm trees, to of course, the beach, there’s plenty to do in Sochi. Every shop was full of Olympic themed trinkets. My plan? Wait until the games are over. The shops will be slashing prices no doubt to clear their shelves. 
Olympic spirit!
My guides brought me to a lovely restaurant overlooking the sea, called the Lighthouse. I had a Russian classic - mushroom soup. Not the cream of mushroom I am accustomed to back home. For dessert, a mixed berry pie. 



After lunch, we hit the beach. I was absolutely terrified to see the sea full of jellyfish! Perhaps I’ll keep my toes out for now...


My team mate Larissa

As an avid mascoteur at home, I relish any moment to take a photo with one of my own!

Sochi train station
There are cultural displays a plenty!
There's police at almost every intersection. I've never felt so safe in my life!
I was happy to see almost everyone dressed to support the Russian team. It reminded me of Vancouver and the nationalism that flowed in the streets. I am also happy to report I now have a Russian cellphone! It has already come in handy. I had to tell my supervisor I would be late for my shift today. I missed the bus (which only runs every half hour to the mountains) My last shift I was also late due to my camera malfunction. Next time, I’ll just have to get there extra early!


To top off an already great day in the sunshine, I watched the opening ceremonies from a bar about 5 km away from Olympic park. The best part? No lineups, no crowds, and I still got a glimpse of the fireworks afterwards. Back home, I would have watched them from a bar very similar to the one I had here. It’s being in Russia that makes it even more exciting! Exactly like when I watched the Australian open on a TV in Australia. Just that much more special ;)
Probably the closest I'll get to Putin
Represent!
Let the games begin!

No comments:

Post a Comment