Friday, February 14, 2014

Russian ramblings

I've been getting asked what exactly I do at work... well what I can tell you is I am basically a glorified security guard. I quite enjoy it. I keep the press and athletes separated, meaning all those Lugers walk right past me. Soon it will be our Skeleton and Bobsled teams. I quietly cheer for Canada and then get to give our athletes high fives! My group also manages the press centre. We have an information desk there and answer any journalist's questions. I prefer working in the mixed-zone where the atmosphere is exciting. After the flower ceremonies, we hold a press conference. I get to hand around the microphone to reporters. Not a bad gig in my eyes. My favourite part of almost everyday is working. The food is great at my venue, and it's just all around exciting!

This morning I cheered on our Canadian curling team to a win against Norway. It was nice to see Canada compete so well. My seat mate was an America with Norwegian family, so we cheered against each other. Curling may not seem overly exciting, but having a great team to cheer for made the match exciting. I would argue we have the best looking curling team of the bunch ;) No wonder my grandma bought the team's calendar...

Ryan Fry really gets down to ice level. Impressive!

Technological generation is missing out

At the Russia vs. Sweden hockey match, the crowd was insane! It almost reminded me of Canadian fans. However it saddened me to see so many youth behind their devices. These two boys in front of me literally videoed the entire match. Instead of living in the moment, they lived behind their camera. While most days I regret not bringing my iphone for ease of posting information, I am truly grateful I am experiencing each moment with my own eyes and all my senses. 


Hiding behind a device. Why not watch what is in front of your eyes?

Team spirit

At any given moment, one small voice would start shouting russia, and moments later the entire arena was cheering RA-SEE-YA! On a powerplay, I completely understand. But there were times when the crowd was going bonkers during a break in play. It was incredible to see. They also like to shout SHAY-BU (which means puck).
When the Russia team won, the fans went wild. They've got this team spirit thing down pat.

Hot dog....Sochi2014fail ;)
Russian mascot getting personal. He must know I'm a mascot at heart ;)
I was absolutely devastated to see the Canadian team relay fall short.

Back to work

After a day off, I am heading back to work. My shifts are all 5pm - 2am, so I haven't been able to take advantage of any activities at my residence. Tomorrow night there's a cultural preview for the Korean Olympics in 2018. On one hand, I get the most exciting shift with all the races at night, but the two hour commute to and from the venue sure eats up my sleeping time. 

Also, I've been getting into the pin trading excitement! Once I get a few more trades done I'll update you on my new collection!

MARK YOUR CALENDARS!

One February 20, around 7am, tune into CTV Edmonton morning show. You may see a familiar face ;)

1 comment:

  1. Noooo not the ankle! You can believe me when I say 'I feel your pain' :-(.
    Elevate as often as you can.
    You are one tough lady so keep up the good attitude and you'll be running around in no time!
    Hugs from me of course! Wish I was with you at the hospital like you were for me when I twisted my ankle ;-)
    Xoxo

    ReplyDelete