Saturday, February 8, 2014

A sound investment

During my trip to downtown Sochi, I pulled my purse strings open and invested in a solid pair of running shoes. Already this purchase has paid off. On my run this morning along the coast, I met a volunteer from Kazakhstan. We chatted for a while, mostly about the adorable puppy that was following him through his workout. He then proceeded to give me a small shoe keychain in Kazakhstan colours. Of course this was the one time I didn’t have any pins or Canadiana to return the favour. I guess I’ll have to start running with a fanny-pack full of goodies!

My little running buddy 
I had to buy men's shoes because they don't sell women's shoes in my size!
Th beautiful black sea (which is actually clear as day)
A gift from Kazahkstan.
Every morning, I sit on the rocky beach and watch the fishermen set up their rigs. It’s quite impressive. Between two fishermen, I counted ten rigs. That’s the way to do it! I could watch these guys all day, alas, then I would be late for another shift and that wouldn’t be very Canadian of me. I’m certain I will be overly apologetic on arrival to my venue and will make up for it on my next shift. 


My morning routine - perhaps I'll practice my russian with the fishermen...

The view from my residence
Tomorrow will be an exciting day! I am meeting with a former co-worker and we’re going to a hockey game. It’s one of my four scheduled days off, so I have the entire day to myself! I have only been inside Fischt stadium so far, so this will be an exciting moment for me. I also have a ticket to a hockey game on February 13. You’d think I was Canadian or something with all these hockey games? Pictures to follow soon!

Here's an inside look at all the venues of the 2014 Olympics. This is Russia's equivalent to google maps, and just like street view, you can get to street level BUT ALSO see inside the venues. Worth a look!  Thanks to my friend Vladimir for showing me this link! 

No comments:

Post a Comment