Thursday, February 6, 2014

A Russian miracle

It's not often you hear of a truly good-hearted people-helping-people story at such a big event as the Olympics. With so many people coming and going, it can be hard to make someone's day. So many faces pass you by and even I, a friendly Canadian, am overwhelmed by the number of people around me.

Yesterday, I left my camera on the bus. The second I realized my precious memory-taking machine was not on my person, I rushed frantically back through security to the transit centre and watched my bus drive off. A cheerful volunteer tried to console me and even tried to radio the bus driver to, alas no avail. Not only had I lost the camera itself, but I'd also lost all the memories. The volunteer took down my supervisor's phone number (I really need a phone!) and I left with my heart broken.

About an hour later, I decided to try my luck again at the transport centre. The same bright-eyed volunteer was still there and when she saw me she smiled. She told me they had got in contact with the driver and he would be bringing it back from the coast in about an hour. As I waited out in the cold for my special delivery, I thought about how lucky I was. This feat would be near impossible in Edmonton, let alone in Russia. When the bus arrived, the driver lifted my camera triumphantly over the crowds of journalists piling onto his bus. As my hands clasped around my prized possession, I shouted over and over again "Spaseba Balshoy!" Which mean, Thank you VERY MUCH!!

With the help of a caring volunteer and an attentive bus driver, I am now able to share these cultural shots of Russia :) Enjoy!

Cultural display at the main media center.
Massive Matryoshka dolls.
Tea anyone?


I'd also like to thank Tom Braid for the lovely article in the Edmonton Sun. If you haven't read it yet, have a look! Another interesting link - a look at Sochi hotspots in an interactive, creative way!

1 comment:

  1. Love it! Please try dressed herring and then tell me what it's like :) Have fun getting close to your Russian roots...and then some ;) Proud of you!! - michito

    ReplyDelete