Saturday, February 22, 2014

Alpine


Last night I visited the Rosa Khutor alpine centre. I must admit, I much prefer my sliding centre. the venue was cold and very muddy. My poor boots are covered in muck. 
The gondola ride up to the event was a lot of fun. I met a family from Hawaii. The oldest daughter gave me a russian coloured lei - Aloha! 
Kieri the friendly hawaiian.
Here is my view of the women's slalom event. There's a big TV to watch the beginning of the runs, and the announcements are done in English and then Russian. It was bitterly cold sitting in the stands. Sixty skiers went down the run. SIXTY! The time difference between each athelete came to down 400th of a second in some cases. I was surprised to learn that double medals have been awarded in downhill skiing because two skiers got the exact same time. There are so many factors going down the track that the thought of two different people getting the same time blows my mind!
Alberta's very own Bertie Beaver with the russian lei.

Represent!

Volunteers ski down after each run to smooth out the snow. That would be an awesome gig!



Beautiful but so cold!

Russian fur everywhere!
Another gold medal night meant the wine was flowing! I'm happy to report I made it to work early despite the headache. Canada is third in the medals standings. I'm overjoyed that we're doing so well. Maybe one of our 4-man bobsled team will launch to the front of the pack? (I doubt it, those Germans are fast!) My manager told me I did such a great job mediating the last press conference that he may let me do it again. It would be great to have canadians on the podium one more time here at Sanki. Be sure to cheer them on!

No comments:

Post a Comment