Tuesday, February 11, 2014

Olympic pin trading. Yup, it's a big deal!

When I first arrived at the Adler airport, I was immediately asked by an American to trade pins. I thought, "cool, I'm glad I brought some Canadian pins!" He gave me a Biathlon pin from Vancouver 2010 and I gave him a plain Canadian flag pin. After that encounter, I didn't think much of it. Since my arrival, pin trading has taken on a whole new meaning. I went through security to Olympic Park and decided to give the security guard a Canadian pin. The chaos that ensued after amazed me. All the other security guards flocked to get a pin, and everyone going through security held out their hands to get their fingers on one of my tiny metal medallions.

At the bus stations, there are international pin traders galore. I met one guy from Japan, a woman from Salt Lake City, and a man from Surrey, BC. They hop from Olympic games to Olympic games just to trade pins.... I kid you not. This is a big deal.
This guy travelled all the way from Salt Lake to trade pins.


Now, I don't leave my residence without my bag of pins. Today was a special day for me. I completed my first pin transaction! When I purchased a phone charger at Megaphone, I got a cute bear pin. This pin has little meaning to me, so I found an international trader and got myself a 1988 Calgary Olympic pin.


I got this one on the bus to work!
These pins are the newest addition to my collection CIRCA 1980s Soviet Russia
Also of note, I secured myself a ticket to men's curling CAN vs NOR on February 14, 9am in Sochi, so 10pm in Canada. I'll be all dressed up, crossing my fingers to make it on camera! I also snagged a ticket to men's downhill skiing on February 21. These are definitely going in the scrapbook!




1 comment:

  1. Many thanks for the exciting blog posting! I really enjoyed reading it, you are a brilliant writer. I actually added your blog to my favorites and will look forward for more updates. Great Job,Keep it up..
    lapel pins

    ReplyDelete