Friday, March 7, 2014

Paralympic Spirit

Back in Sochi and it's like I never left. To get back into the swing of things, I went to get my new accreditation and uniform badges. This process took 45 minutes, ONLY! I was ecstatic. I'd been dreading this day for weeks, and it went by so easily and smoothly. Maybe the second time is the charm. It could also be attributed to the fact only 8,000 volunteers will be working the Paralympic games. The Olympics had a whopping 25,000 in comparison.

The diminished numbers can be felt in the volunteer village as well. No more long line-ups for breakfast... but there always seems to be a lack of buses no matter how many volunteers are around.

My role for the Paralympic games will be press assistant at the Paralympic medals plaza. I was elated to live on the coast and work on the coast...but since most disciplines are in the mountains for these games, they've moved it to Krasnaya Polyana! Again, a two-hour commute. I was given the option to move to the mountains, but as I only have 6 working days, I've decided to stay on the coast and enjoy the sun and palm trees as much as I can.

Our volunteer team met for a quick orientation on March 6 and were fortunate enough to see the torch come through our venue. It seems I was in the right place at the right time!
Paralympic torch in Krasnaya Polyana; Rosa Khutor Paralympic medals plaza.
Julia and I enjoying hot beverages with straws. Yup, that's a thing here.
Snowflake and Ray of Light in Sochi.
I was hoping and praying to get the chance to go to the opening ceremonies, but all signs pointed to a big NO. Our venue volunteers will have the opportunity to go to the closing ceremonies, but my flight to Moscow leaves that afternoon :(
I made mention of this to my boss, and after making a few phone calls, I was able to secure a ticket! My former Sanki supervisor Julia was also able to snag a golden ticket, so we enjoyed the stunning show together. I also got to see Putin! So check that off my bucket list ;)
Julia and I at the opening ceremonies!
WOWZAS!

Team Canada turned AWAY from me :( But I was happy to see us all out in full force. I think Canada, Sweden and Russia have the largest teams. I will be seeing lots of these athletes on the podium I hope!
lonesome Ukrainian Mykailo Tkachenko represented his troubled country during the ceremony. The rest of the team opted out and sat elsewhere in the stadium. The effects of the turmoil in Ukraine have not been felt here as a volunteer at least. This was the first time I really felt like it is really happening. I was so close to Ukraine during my stay in Rostov-on-Don, and nothing was out of place. This lone Ukrainian certainly made his country's point. It was a very powerful moment.

The word 'Meer' in Russian means both peace and world. I think it was a very appropriate message for both the Paralympics and what's happening in the Ukraine.
As we were sitting at the press stands, we were able to watch the fireworks and the lighting of the cauldron from these handy televisions.
Let the games begin!

EXTRA TIDBIT: Here's a great photo of Sochi at night

Also, Happy Women's Day (March 8). It's a big deal here in Russia. Every man I've seen has been carrying around tulips or roses. My first shift starts tonight, so off to the mountains I go!

1 comment:

  1. Janelle,
    I've just caught up on your blog. Happy belated Womens' Day as well. I think you should be nominated for an endurance award. I can't imagine sitting for six hours to have a tatoo completed! Although, it is an amazing tatoo. May your wonderful Sochi adventures continue. Meer out.

    ReplyDelete