Thursday, March 6, 2014

On the road: Krasnodar

Journey to the Cossack city Krasnodar

My train ride to Krasnodar itself was an adventure in itself. My cabin was occupied by Roman, a member of the National Guard from Volgograd. Within five minutes of meeting him, he gifted me with a pair of military sunglasses in a lovely case. All I had to offer were small Canadian flag pins. Unfortunately my Russian is worse than I thought. We were unable to communicate, so Roman used his smart phone to translate for us. It was quite humorous. The phone spoke back what he said in an electronic woman’s voice. She would randomly pipe up and say something even when we weren’t using her. As we travelled the countryside, the reception came and went. Without internet, we were unable to speak. I have become a master of gesture here in Russia, so we could still communicate. He showed me videos of Victory Day celebrations from May 9 last year on his phone. At the next stop, he stocked up on beer and pirojok and insisted I drink and eat with him. This was about 10 am....but it was 5 o’clock somewhere. I never imagined I’d be drinking with the Russian National Guard...ever.
Roman and I.
Formally known as Ekaterinadar (Catherine the great’s gift to the Cossacks), Krasnodar is rich in history and architecture. My dear friend Julia greeted me with open arms at the train station and showed me the highlights. 











The Russian holiday Maslenitsa was in full swing. I was amazed at how many honey stalls there were. How was I to choose the best honey with so many vendors? For lunch we had some nice Japanese food, which was a refreshing change from the volunteer canteen menu. Julia is a great host, and loves her city. This makes a true difference! 


I won’t lie, it was so strange to be in a car again! It has been over a month since I’ve been in one. The freedom is amazing. We were able to see so much of the city in such a short time. Julia opened her home to me as well, where I met Goshu, her pet bird. We also went to a western restaurant which reminded me of home for dinner with her husband Kiril and friend Nam. While it wasn’t Alberta beef, it was still a great meal. Julia and Kiril dropped me off at the train station a short 12 hours later to head to Rostov-on-don.. As I venture further and further outside the Sochi ‘bubble,’ the more my love for Russia grows.
Julia and I.


GOSHU!

No comments:

Post a Comment