Monday, March 17, 2014

Farewell Sochi

We’ve been down this road before. Saying goodbye. It happened at the Olympics and I knew it was coming again. This time was different. Final. The Paralympics were so inspiring. Being in the arena for a sledge hockey game made me never want to complain about a sore ankle or sore knee again. I watched one downhill ski competition where the skier had no arms at all and he was hitting every corner like the professional that he is. I will never forget their strength and great sportsmanship. For the most part, they celebrate no matter what place they finish at. 

On the other hand, there were far less people and the energy felt a lot lower in comparison to the Olympics. Barely any Russian TV stations aired any events (except the sledge hockey match). I had hoped the local coverage would have been much more than it was. I realize it isn’t the Olympics, but these athletes are worthy of the coverage. Here are some more of Nadezda’s photos from the sledge hockey finals!






Canadians fans 


TEAM CANADA! Proud of our bronze

The Bolshoy Icedome - not where the sledge hockey was played, but such a beautiful photo!
Saying goodbye

I didn’t get the chance to get to know people as I did at the Olympics. 18 days of games vs. 10 makes a big difference. The Paralympic Medals Plaza also had much shorter hours of operation than I worked during the Olympics. Regardless, it was still tough to leave, but I was very ready to go. Instead of hoping from venue to venue catching any event I could, I was catching the flu...that puts a damper on the experience for sure. If I was healthy I would have had a very different Paralympic experience. The people I met were the greatest joy I came away with during these games, and for that I am very grateful. My last two days were great and everyone I’ve met will be my friends into the future. My roommate Evgenia and I hit the sea one last time to take some photos on her last day. 






last walk to the bus
Packing...

My last night consisted of some major creativity in the packing department. This photo describes it all. I had to duct tape two backpacks together. I’d also like to thank my previous roommate Barbara for leaving so many nifty tools behind. Her heating pad helped while I had the flu and her bag of earplugs came in handy on noisy nights. As for my back pack, I then covered it with a rain protector so it looks like one bag. On my way out the door, one of my friends asked why I had a refrigerator on my back.


High in the sky

I rode to the airport with my dear Nadezda! I started this journey with her and ended it almost the same way. We enjoyed a GREEN salad at the airport together in celebration of no more rice! I checked in early enough to get a coveted window seat overlooking Olympic Park. One last look at what may soon be called the best days of my life.

GREEN SALAD!


One last look at Hotel Omega, my home in Sochi.



Safe and sound in Amsterdam

The refrigerator didn't make it in one piece...As I waiting at the baggage claim, my backpack was the first to come out - without the rain jacket and Sochi pack back I had tapped to the outside. FAIL. I waited and waited. That second backpack was full of stuff I would have been heartbroken to lose. Finally, a very defeated and dirty rain jacket popped out and I was so happy to see the Sochi bag inside. I'd say that's good luck! Especially since I changed aircraft in Moscow!


I’ll try to make a couple of posts in Europe. As eager as I am to get home, I need a vacation after my vacation! I don’t think I’ve ever been more exhausted in my life. Knowing Canada awaits is always a comfort... knowing that a warmer Canada awaits is even more comforting! Keep on melting snow!

HAPPY ST.PATRICK'S DAY


No comments:

Post a Comment