Thursday, March 6, 2014

Exploring Sochi

Sights of Sochi

After seeing my Tania to the airport on February 24, the goodbyes continued. I am lucky to still have my team leader Nadezda staying for the Paralympics. She’s been a great guide and translator. She understands my humour and keeps pace with me. After the Olympics, we decided to go souvenir shopping with our mixed-zone supervisor Anya. Sochi is bloated with Olympic souvenirs. Everywhere you turn there’s a vendor or shop overflowing with official merchandise. This made making decisions that much more difficult. As it was Anya’s last day, the pressure was on to find the perfect gift at the perfect price. Unsurprisingly, that took most of the day. We did stop for some lovely photos and lovely blini at Blinyouga. These ‘pancakes’ make the canteen at our residence seem pitiful. The tastes of Russia are so much more vibrant outside of Olympic Park. In the end, Anya found a couple of souvenirs, but I am waiting until closer to the end of the Paralympics in hopes of discounted prices.

Anya and I with daffodils.

Russia vs. Canada 
Nadezda and Anya with corn on the cob.
Canadian on the black sea.

I love this shot of Anya!


Crazy Soviet bus

The next day, Nadezda, her new roommate Yusta, and I ventured to the Vorontsovskiye Caves. The bus trip to the caves turned out to be the most exciting part of the day! First we caught an old autobus at the train station Khosta. The three of us sat at the very back - BIG mistake. The road wound unpredictably up a mountain, with bumps and cutbacks that would put some of the forestry roads I’ve driven for work to shame. The road was narrow enough for one-way traffic, but of course was used in both directions. I was amazed by what I saw. As I’ve only been to larger Russian cities, the corrugated roofs and shacks on the brink of collapse were unexpected. I mean, in Bolivia and Cambodia this came as no shock to me, but in Russia, even my Russian friends Yusta and Nadezda did not expect the poverty we saw.



We bounced and bobbed all the way to what we thought was the entrance to the caves. Thankfully I was travelling with Russians, because the bus driver told us we had another 3km UPHILL until the entrance to the caves. Alas, salvation came in the form of an old soviet-era bus. The bus puttered to a stop beside us and opened it’s doors to us. Whom did we find on said bus? The Moscow mounted police! (Whom I have seen riding along the beach)

Typically, moscow police officers are notorious for being unforgiving and sullen. Luckily for us the mounted police seem to be the exception to the rule. As the bus was full, three security officers got up to let us sit. The road to the caves proved even more dangerous than the one before. There were some corners where I was sure we’d plummet to our fiery deaths. Alexander, their veterinarian, showed me photos from their two-day drive to Sochi with the horses. The group has been working here for 3 months already, but were extremely cheerful. We explored the caves with the policemen and got a few photos with what I coined the ‘crazy bus.’

Crazy bus! 

Tima, Yusta, and I.
Russian tea fields.
This day was a very important one for me in learning some key elements of Russian culture. Did you know Russians wear their wedding rings on their right hands? A useful tidbit of information I’d say! Also, if a woman whistles...it means she is looking for something more...if you catch my meaning. I guess I’ll keep my mouth shut!! 


The group offered their bus to us all the way back to Olympic Park. As we had rushed out the door expecting to find food along the way, we were starving at this point. At the caves, since it is the off-season, we found only nuts and juice for sale. The veterinarian Alex offered us tea and biscuits, which were a welcome sight! I told him about how my mom is an animal health technologist, and he was so excited. He continued to show me more and more photos of himself at work and with his horses. These kind-hearted men saved us from a terrible trek in the rain, and I will never forget them!

Final Sochi Escapade before leaving the ‘bubble.’

Nadezda has been asking day-after-day to go to Riviera Park in Sochi to photograph the mimosa plant. Finally we found time to get to the park on February 27. We three musketeers ventured to Sochi again.

Yusta and Nadezda, Sochi river. 

Encounter of the fowl kind

In Riviera, I was grabbed by a Russian and dragged about 10 feet to two other men holding a monkey and a parrot. The men were shouting “pins, pins, pins” which of course I stupidly pulled out a full bag of Canadian pins. They were grasping at the bag and pulling at me saying “photo, photo, give camera for photo.” I was certain in the hubbub they were trying to rob me. I gave my camera to Nadezda specifically so one of the men wouldn’t run off with him. The first man flung the monkey into my arms and then placed the parrot carefully in a dead position in my hands. Confusion doesn’t even cover half of what I was feeling. I was utterly flabbergasted. The poor monkey was wearing pants and a jacket, and the parrot was sullen and quiet. Of course I smiled for the camera. It’s second-nature to show the pearly whites when a camera is around. After the whole encounter was finally over, I checked my bag and purse and luckily nothing was taken.
We continued to explore the entire park in search of a mimosa tree. Small amusement parks with midways seem to be very popular in southern Russia. This photo amuses me. The cat is SLEEPING on the gun game table. I hope he’s sleeping at least...


Nadezda doing what she does best - taking photos!

Might I remind you...I am at the WINTER Olympics.

No comments:

Post a Comment