Friday, March 28, 2014

La jolie France!!

Here in France my french language skills are improving remarkably everyday. Why couldn't Russian have been this easy for me? Looks like I need to go back to Russia after improving my vocabulary. Practicing a language in that country (usually around people who don't speak English) is the best way to improve. Maybe next time I need to go to Siberia then!

With my trip soon coming to an end, I want to say a special thank you to my volunteer teams from Sochi. While I spend my days on trains and walking about some beautiful European cities, I can't help but think about Sochi and all the people I met. It feels like it was so long ago, but the memories remain vibrant and close to my heart. I made promises to so many to come back and visit. One day I hope to fulfill those promises. In remembrance of all the great memories from Sochi, because it really is the people that make the place memorable, here are the teams I worked with at the Olympics and Paralympics. Thank you again for the memories!

Press assistants unite! Team Sanki, Olympics 2014
Family of press assistants at the Paralympic Medals Plaza

Back to Europe!

Of course, I have more photos of my travels through Europe. After Reims, my friend Julia and I visited Luxembourg and then Strasbourg. The two bourgs!
Always sending postcards!
The lovely case mates of Luxembourg.




Getting lost in the case mates (catacombs twist and turn beneath the city).





Flowers in full bloom in March. Incredible! Especially since there is SNOW back home!

Cooking away at our couchsurfer's place. Lots of veggies to counteract all the chocolate and cookies we devour during the day.

Finally some sun! Vitamin D!
Luxembourg; a mix of old and new.

My history

When I was about 6 months old, my family moved to Lahr, Germany, where my father worked on the Canadian forces military base. This is where he became very good friends with Jacky Knecht. Since I was a child, Uncle Jacky has called us every Christmas and I, being the dorky kid I was, would write letters to him as well. Jacky and his lovely family live in Strasbourg, a city which has been German and French, back and forth through history. There is a unique mix of German architecture and Alsacian/French culture, which makes the city a must see!
The second bourg; Strasbourg. This is the astronomical clock inside the cathedral.
Typical tourist.

Cheesy tourist.

Used book market. Nous avons acheté des livres pour les enfants pour pratiqué notre français. 
German influence is clear in this city.
Chateau Pourtales, Strasbourg.

Haha! This picture amuses me beyond description!
Avec Daniele, la femme du Jacky.

Saying farewell to Julia :(
La dernier photo.

Back to reality on Monday... 

I can't wait to see everyone back home, and one day soon I will return to Russia, and most likely France! You haven't seen the last of this lady, I promise you that! 

No comments:

Post a Comment